I like baking bagels because it’s more forgiving and takes less time than baking regular breads. Since my in-laws gave me their almost unused Kitchen Aid mixer, bagel making has gotten even easier. A few weeks ago, I made two batches in one day (24 bagels). I individually wrapped them with plastic wrap and then put them in a ziplock bag. My freezer was packed with bagels!
The Basic Bagel
1 Tbsp honey
1 egg white
By Kitchenade: In the mixer bowl, combine the instant yeast, sugar, salt, oil, and lukewarm water and stir. Attach the bowl and dough hook to the mixer. Add the flour and turn to speed 2 and mix the dough. Continue kneading on speed 2 until smooth, stopping and scraping bowl if necessary, about 5~7 minutes.
2. Let the dough rest: Divide the dough into even 12 pieces. Form each piece of dough into a ball. Cover the balls with a damp towel to avoid dehydration. Rest the dough for 10 minutes.
3. Shape the dough: Lightly dust the rolling pin with flour. One at a time, place a ball on to a clean surface, bottom side up, and roll into an oval shape. Roll the dough lengthwise and pinch the edges to seal, and make it into a 7~8-inch rope. Overlap and join the ends (If you like harder, tighter dough, twist the rope when you join the ends). Squish and roll to fuse the ends. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.
4. Proof the dough: Cover with a dry towel, and let it rise about 20~30 minutes.
5. Preheat the Oven: Preheat the oven to 420 degrees.
6. Boil the dough: In a pot, boil 1.5~2L of water. Add the honey and stir. Lower the bagels into the water, 2~3 bagels at a time, and boil them for 30 seconds per side.
7. Dress the bagel: Place the bagels onto a prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, mix the egg white and one table spoon of water. Brush the bagels with the egg white mixture.
8. Bake the bagel: Transfer the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 9 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet and bake for another 8~9 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven, and let them cool on a wire rack.
This post is also available in: Japanese